About this Blog

I oftentimes find myself feeling as if I am drowning in a sea of brokenness. Financial strains, familial tensions, and the like, oftentimes distract me from who I am in Christ, and furthermore, what I am called to do as His servant. Scripture repeatedly teaches that a part of my calling is to offer up my body as a living sacrifice, and this includes giving thanks for the blessings in my life to the loving God who bestows them. My life needs to be one of joy, one that actively pursues beauty and appreciates all things, even those that are commonly overlooked.
With this blog, I hope to take myself and anyone who reads it on a journey in which each and every day I find something to do, or see, or make that is beautiful and can be deeply appreciated. Then, I will give the beauty I find as an offering of praise and thanks to the Lord by writing about it here on this blog. Check back each day for a new post! I hope that what you read here will inspire you to appreciate life more and actively pursue the beauty that surrounds you, even in the midst of brokenness.

Friday, June 17, 2011

I wrote a poem!

I did! I wrote one of my very own! Here's why I'm excited about this small accomplishment of mine: Until this summer, I was never really interested in poetry. So, a couple of days ago, I went to the library to check out some books that would teach me how to both read and write poetry. One of the books, Poetry as a Spiritual Practice, by Robert McDowell, has different exercises for writing poetry. 

One of the exercises was to go to a public place, like a coffee shop or shopping mall, listen to the conversations around me, and then write a poem reflecting on a conversation I heard. As a person who loves to listen to the lives of other people, this task was very fun to complete. 

I listened. I reflected. I wrote. 

Eavesdropping 

I admit, I was eavesdropping
on a conversation between two men,
about how the upcoming family funeral would be different,
because with it joy and celebration would begin. 

This got me to thinking, 
"What could have changed?
What happened to this family
that their worldview was rearranged?"

Was it religion? Philosophy?
Just plain tired of being sad?
The truth is I'll never know,
I'll just always wish I had. 


Thank you, Lord, for poetry. Thank you for letting me into this small little world of writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment