About this Blog

I oftentimes find myself feeling as if I am drowning in a sea of brokenness. Financial strains, familial tensions, and the like, oftentimes distract me from who I am in Christ, and furthermore, what I am called to do as His servant. Scripture repeatedly teaches that a part of my calling is to offer up my body as a living sacrifice, and this includes giving thanks for the blessings in my life to the loving God who bestows them. My life needs to be one of joy, one that actively pursues beauty and appreciates all things, even those that are commonly overlooked.
With this blog, I hope to take myself and anyone who reads it on a journey in which each and every day I find something to do, or see, or make that is beautiful and can be deeply appreciated. Then, I will give the beauty I find as an offering of praise and thanks to the Lord by writing about it here on this blog. Check back each day for a new post! I hope that what you read here will inspire you to appreciate life more and actively pursue the beauty that surrounds you, even in the midst of brokenness.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Kalena

What a day. It's a good thing I have the self-imposed challenge to post something new every day or I would be fast asleep in bed now.

Today was the last day of school for the Edmonds School District, the district in which my church is located. My church, ONE Church (which has an amazing story behind it, but that's for another day), hosted a huge Summer Fun Kick-Off Party, with a bounce house, inflatable slide, face painting, popcorn, etc. It was fun, but for us who worked behind the scenes and on the front line during the event, it was also exhausting. That's why I should be in bed right now, fast asleep, resting. But, for some reason, I just keep on typing.

Families came. Children laughed. Frisbees were thrown. It was a jolly good time.

God answered our prayers for the downpour of rain to stop. It stopped raining right when the event started and started raining again right when it ended. That's pretty darn cool if you ask me.

But, the HIGHLIGHT of my day, amongst all of the things to be thankful for, was a conversation I had with a ten year old girl named Kalena. God is working a great work in her, I can tell. She saw me praying with some of the workers from the event, and afterwards came up to me and said,
"I saw that you were praying. I pray, too." 
That opened up a whole conversation between the two of us about God, Jesus, sin, salvation, grace, scripture, heaven, forgiveness, and so much more. She had so many insightful questions and comments, and God used me to both answer and respond to her. We talked for at least an hour and a half, and by the end of our conversation, I was able to give her a Bible with some verses she could read and think about, and she was SO excited to read them.

That's what I am so thankful for today. Thank you, Lord, for Kalena. Thank you for her honest seeking after you. Thank you for giving us time together to talk about you. Thank you for giving me the right words to share you with her. Thank you that she understood what I was telling her. Thank you thank you thank you.

Please be praying for Kalena, as she goes home and reads her Bible. Pray that the Holy Spirit will lead her into truth and righteousness, and that she will give her life to Christ and be forevermore my sister in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment